Pan Surrender

Applicant having more than one PAN Card can surrender the duplicate pan by writing a letter to the Income Tax Assessing Officer with a proper reason for surrender. Further, the PAN Card will be cancelled and the applicant can surrender it to the tax official.

Cases Where PAN Can Be Surrendered/ Cancelled

The assessee is moving out of the country permanently.

The assessee has been mistakenly allotted more than one PAN card by the Income Tax Department of India.

The existing PAN card of an individual contains any errors.

In the event of death of an assessee, their immediate relatives can apply for cancellation of PAN to the Income Tax Department.

For any company/ firm/ partnership, one can apply for PAN Card cancellation if they go out of business.

Document required for PAN Card Surrender

Write a letter address to the Assessing Officer under whose jurisdiction your Income Tax is filed. Mention your personal details such as the full name on your PAN Card, date of birth (or date of incorporation in case of Companies), PAN Card number to be retained and details of duplicate PAN Card being surrendered.

How to Cancel/ Surrender PAN Card

A PAN Card can be cancel by either of the two methods as listed below:

  • Cancel/ Surrender your PAN Card Trough Online
    • An assessee should log on to the official website for the income tax department and fill in the required details after reading the instructions provided for completing the online form.
    • Alternatively, an assesse can fill out the ‘PAN Change Request’ application form. The PAN currently in use has to be mentioned on the top of the form. The traditional PANs allotted should be listed in item no. 11 while the PAN card which has to be cancelled should be submitted along with the form.
  • Cancel/surrender your PAN Card through offline
    • An assesse should fill out form 49A for any making any correction in his or the PAN card. Form no.49A should be submitted at any NSDL TIN facilitation center
    • An assesse can also write a letter to the assessing officer of the concern jurisdiction and list out all pertinent details as listed below
      • Address of the assesse
      • Name of the assesse
      • Details of Additional PAN card which has to be surrendered
      • Specific details of the PAN card which has to be retained
      • It is important to note that the assesse need to have an acknowledgement copy of the letter. The acknowledgement letter from the income tax department per se acts as proof that the additional PAN has been cancelled. In other words, the assesse does not have to contact the income tax department again for confirmation on cancellation of his duplicate or additional PAN.

How to Check PAN Cancellation Status

After filling up the form and submitting it for the cancellation of PAN, the next process is to know whether the status of the request. Here, we look how an applicant can check the status of their request. This is can be done by following the below mentioned steps

Select ‘know your PAN/TAN/AO’ under the tab of Quick links

Fill in the details asked for like name, date of birth, gender and mobile number and click ‘submit’

On doing so, an OTP is sent on the mobile number provided.

Enter the OTP and click ‘Validate’

The status of the PAN card that the applicant has in his/her name is displayed in the next screen.

It needs to be mentioned here if the applicant who wants to know the status of PAN has multiple cards in his/her name than they may be asked to provide additional information.

Penalties Applicable

An assesse with more than one PAN card has to surrender his or her additional PAN as holding more an additional PAN card will attract a penalty of Rs. 10,000.


Coming Soon


Start Here

Upload Documents

Upload Documents

Fill Form

Filling up form (for 10 percent additional discount)

Payment Gateway

Payment Gateway

Incorporation Process Initiate

Incorporation Process Initiate

Start Here

Upload Documents
Filling up form (for 10 percent
additional discount)
Payment gateway
Incorporation process initiate

Frequently Asked Questions

I have been allotted more than one PAN, what is the procedure for cancellation/ surrender of other PAN?

You may fill and submit PAN Change Request application form by mentioning the PAN which you are using currently on top of the form. All other PAN/s inadvertently allotted to you should be mentioned at item no. 11 of the form and the corresponding PAN card copy/s should be submitted for cancellation along with the form.

What is the procedure to cancel/ surrender PAN which is being currently used?

If you wish to cancel/ surrender your PAN (which you are currently using), then you need to visit your local Income Tax Assessing Officer with a request letter to cancel/ surrender your PAN. Here we at Filingwale will assist you with PAN surrender related issued

What to do when error occurs on the details printed on PAN Card?

Many times, when a PAN Card issued by an individual contains some erroneous details. In that case, the individual needs to go through with the PAN Card cancelation procedure and then apply for a new PAN Card.

What documents can be submitted as proof of PAN surrendered?

Anyone of the following documents can be submitted as proof of PAN surrendered:

  • Copy of PAN card
  • Copy of PAN allotment letter

No other documents are acceptable as valid proof of PAN surrendered.

If any proof of PAN surrendered is not available, then the application will not be accepted.

Modes of surrender extra PAN erroneously allotted to the particular person?

  • Process :- Online / Offline
  • Online :- Just fill the application and send the documents along with the Erroneously allotted PAN.
  • Offline:- Just fill the offline application and submit the same at nearest PAN facilitation center.